The University of Arkansas Office for Sustainability (OFS) will host a four-week recycling competition for Registered Student Organizations as a part of RecycleMania 2013 to increase recycling rates and student involvement in sustainability efforts on the University of Arkansas campus.
Participating RSOs will deliver white paper, mixed paper, plastic bottles, glass bottles, steel cans, and Styrofoam to the Sustainability House (located at 238 Harmon Avenue) during regular office hours, 8-4:30 Monday-Friday.
The competition will run for four weeks, beginning Monday, February 4th. The RSO with the largest amount of recyclables within four weeks will receive the grand prize, $350.00 cash and a traveling trophy. Second place will win $100.00 and third place will receive $50.00.
The competition is held in conjunction with RecycleMania 2013, and seeks to highlight the University of Arkansas’ sustinability minor, Zero Waste Goals, and the American College and University’s President Climate Commitment.
Official Contest Rules
- Registration for the competition begins January 7th and will end January 31st. The competition will begin Monday, February 4th and end Friday, March 1st.
- The competition is open to all Registered Student Organizations as defined by the UA Division of Student Affairs.
- RSOs must register with the Office for Sustainability before January 31, 2013 by visiting this link.
- President and vice president of the RSO must agree to participate, but any members can fill out the registration form.
- Recyclables are limited to: White paper, mixed paper, plastic bottles, glass bottles, aluminum cans, steel cans, and Styrofoam.
- Recyclables must be separated by type and bagged prior to delivery at Sustainability House. Bags do not have to be standard trash bags, i.e. reused plastic grocery bags will work.
- Styrofoam must be clean and separated into bags. Styrofoam is worth ten times its weight.
- Contamination (non-recyclable material) will result in a weight penalty.
RSOs are invited to register at this link. Good luck!